Drink this dandelion detox tea recipe as a gentle detox once a day for seven days. Dandelions have a diuretic action that could be liver protective as well. Just add hot water to one dandelion: roots, leaves and flower.
Dandelion Detox Tea Recipe Instructions
- Pick a dandelion – including the roots. Make sure it is organically grown with no pesticides, herbicides, or pollutants.
- Gently rinse.
- Pour 2-4 cups of hot water over the dandelion and let set overnight.
- Strain and drink the liquid the next morning.
Adults: drink once a day for up to seven days for a mild detox.
- Can cause allergic reactions and contact dermatitis in some people.
- Avoid non-organically grown dandelions, exposed to pesticides and pollutants.
- May interact with certain drugs such as anticoagulants, antidiabetics, and drugs that interact with a diuretic effect.
Dandelion Detox Tea Recipe Research
- Schütz, K., Carle, R., & Schieber, A. (2006). Taraxacum—a review on its phytochemical and pharmacological profile. Journal of ethnopharmacology, 107(3), 313-323.
- Sweeney, B., Vora, M., Ulbricht, C., & Basch, E. (2005). Evidence-based systematic review of dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) by natural standard research collaboration. Journal of herbal pharmacotherapy, 5(1), 79-93.
- Dandelion extract reduced an effect of a fatty liver in mice. From: Davaatseren, M., Hur, H. J., Yang, H. J., Hwang, J. T., Park, J. H., Kim, H. J., … & Sung, M. J. (2013). Taraxacum official (dandelion) leaf extract alleviates high-fat diet-induced nonalcoholic fatty liver. Food and chemical toxicology, 58, 30-36.
- Dandelion root extract showed protective action against alcohol-induced toxicity in the liver in vitro and in vivo. From: You, Y., Yoo, S., Yoon, H. G., Park, J., Lee, Y. H., Kim, S., … & Jun, W. (2010). In vitro and in vivo hepatoprotective effects of the aqueous extract from Taraxacum officinale (dandelion) root against alcohol-induced oxidative stress. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 48(6), 1632-1637.
By: Kathy Sadowski, MS in Aromatherapy, RA (ARC), NAHA and AIA Professional Member, LMT