Elderberries have a tart taste, and are a great ingredient for sweetened jellies, pies, and cobblers. This Elderberry Cobbler Recipe tastes perfect with a slice of vanilla ice cream.
By: Kathy Sadowski, MS in Aromatherapy, Registered Aromatherapist, LMT, RYT
Elderberry Cobbler Recipe Ingredients
- 3 cups of fresh or frozen elderberries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- 1 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of flour
- 6 Tbsp melted butter
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
Elderberry Cobbler Recipe Instructions
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix elderberries with 1 tsp vanilla, lemon juice, 1 cup of sugar, 1 tsp of flour, and 1 Tbsp of melted butter. Place in a greased 12″ glass rectangular cooking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp of allspice, and 2 tsp of sugar; set aside.
- Mix all remaining ingredients together in mixing bowl. Batter should be wet and thick. Cover and let rest for ten minutes.
- Dalop spoonfuls of the batter over the elderberries, leaving some openings for the elderberries to show thru. Sprinkle the spice mix set aside over the top.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Top should be lightly browned. Use a knife or toothpick to test that the batter is cooked. Let cool for about 30 minutes; serve warm.
Some of the Health Benefits of Elderberries
- Elderberries have shown in research to help boost immunity, aid in cardiac health, improve blood sugar levels, and have beneficial antioxidant activities. From: Sidor, A., & Gramza-Michałowska, A. (2015). Advanced research on the antioxidant and health benefit of elderberry (Sambucus nigra) in food–a review. Journal of functional foods, 18, 941-958.
This categorized compilation of research articles does not necessarily imply that there are adequate results to demonstrate safe and/or effective human use. These statements are not meant to diagnose, treat, or cure any diseases. The information at this page has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Consult a Doctor before using herbs and essential oils if you have medical conditions, are taking medications, or have questions.