Mistletoe is commonly hung in an entryway to promote a kiss during the holidays. This hemi-parasitic plant is poisonous to humans.
While mistletoe is poisonous to humans, many birds and insects thrive off eat the berries and leaves!
There is limited scientific research on the human use of mistletoe. However, more research is warranted on the topic of mistletoe supplements as a cancer treatment. Further, it has shown potential as an anti-inflammatory, sedative, hypotensive, and anti-diabetic. Click the button below for a detailed review of research.
Latin Name: Viscum album
Mistletoe is a parasitic plant growing in trees with forked stem pieces, white pea sized berries, small yellowish flowers, and yellowish-green leathery lanceolate leaves.
Leaf, twigs and berries are used. Small amounts can be toxic and lethal. Mistletoe has a low therapeutic margin and serious side effects with overuse.
Lectins, toxic polypeptides (viscotoxins), lignans, flavononoids, amines, phenylpropanes, biogenic amines