This Orange Spice Homemade Potpourri makes a great holiday or home warming gift. It takes a little time to dry the oranges, but the rest of the recipe is very easy and can be customized to suit your liking. Choose citrus and spice aromas such as lemon, orange, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and ginger.
Orange Spice Homemade Potpourri Ingredients
- 3 oranges (or other citrus fruit)
- About 1 cup of dried material such as: pine cones, wood bark, or dried flowers
- 12 pieces of star anise
- 12 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp of dried ground spices such as allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, or ginger
- 24 drops of essential oil such as orange, cinnamon, clove, lemon, or ginger
- large container with lid, broiler pan
Orange Spice Homemade Potpourri Instructions
- Step 1: In a large container with a lid, place all the dried material such as pine cones and wood bark. Sprinkle with 24 drops of essential oil. Cover with a lid and set aside.
- Step 2: Slice oranges to 1/4 inch thick rings. Place on a broiler pan. Cook in the oven at 200 degrees for 4 hours. Flip the oranges over once an hour.
- Step 3: Once dried, sprinkle the oranges with dried spices such as allspice or cinnamon.
- Step 4: Combine the oranges with the dried materials from Step 1. Also add in the star anise and cinnamon sticks.
- Store in sealed container. Display in open air decorative bowl.
By: Kathy Sadowski, MS in Aromatherapy, RA (ARC), NAHA and AIA Professional Member, LMT