This Mediterranean side dish is refreshing and delicious – serve Parsley is the Star Tabbouleh with Greek favorites like hummus, pita bread, and gyros. Parsley is a mild diuretic and digestive aid; it may also help with blood thinning, blood sugar regulating, improving memory, and stimulating the immune system.
Parsley is the Star Tabbouleh Ingredients
- 1/4 cup of bulgar wheat
- 1/2 cup of boiling water
- 1 cup of minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup of minced fresh mint
- 1 cucumber – peeled, seeded, and chopped small
- 2 tomatoes – seeded, diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1 squeezed lemon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
Parsley is the Star Tabbouleh Instructions
First, combine the bulgar and hot water in a large bowl and set aside for 30 minutes; fluff with a fork and allow to cool. Then add all the other ingredients and refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.
- This review presented polyacetylenes found in plants of the apiaceae family including angelica, anise, caraway, carrot, celery, cilantro, coriander, cumin, dill, fennel, parsley, celery and hemlock, having antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, and anti-platelet aggregating activities. From: Christensen, L. P., & Brandt, K. (2006). Bioactive polyacetylenes in food plants of the Apiaceae family: occurrence, bioactivity and analysis. Journal of pharmaceutical and biomedical analysis, 41(3), 683-693.
- Phytochemistry and biological activities of parsley were reviewed. From: Farzaei, M. H., Abbasabadi, Z., Ardekani, M. R. S., Rahimi, R., & Farzaei, F. (2013). Parsley: a review of ethnopharmacology, phytochemistry and biological activities. Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, 33(6), 815-826.
By: Kathy Sadowski